Comment on page
New WhatsApp Pricing (2023)
The WhatsApp pricing model change in 3 different stages (March, April, and June 1 2023,) for the new business-initiated conversation categories to reflect the different values each of these conversation types drives for businesses and people.
User-initiated messages through free entry-point conversations will have an extended free conversation window from 24 hours to 72 hours.
To replace the Business-initiated and User-initiated Conversations, WhatsApp introduce 4 new conversation categories regarding different conversation scenarios:
Business-initiated conversations relating to a transaction
- Post-purchase notifications
- Recurring billing statements to customers who have opted in.
Business-initiated conversations enable businesses to authenticate users with one-time passcodes at multiple steps during the login process.
- Account Registration
- Account recovery
- Integrity challenges.
Business-initiated conversations to market a product or service to customers
- Relevant offers to customers who have opted in.
- Other types of conversation that not qualified as authentication or utility conversations
Any user-initiated conversations like resolving a customer inquiry.
*Recommend by WhatsApp
Most flexible – they do not relate to a specific, agreed-upon transaction and instead may relate to the business and/or its products/services, including:
- Promotions or offers Welcoming/closing messages
- Updates, invitations or recommendations
- Requests to respond or complete a new transaction.
Related to a specific, agreed-upon transaction and accomplish one of the following:
- Confirm or suspend a transaction
- Provide an update or reminder post-transaction.
Enable businesses to authenticate users with one-time 4-8 digit alphanumeric passcodes potentially at multiple steps in the login process such as
- Account Verification
- Account recovery
- Integrity challenges etc...
Any template that has a mix of utility and marketing content will be classified as a marketing template.
- Category selection will be required in the template creation process. This will also gate whether a business gets access to features like specific ROI metrics for marketing or one-tap for authentication.
- Category selection will be available in the WhatsApp Manager and Graph API.
- All templates with variables must have a sample to be submitted to WhatsApp for review.
- When a template is submitted, WhatsApp will prompt users to change categories if their selection does not match the classification.
- WhatsApp will provide a response verifying whether the category selected was accepted or rejected when a template is created via API.
The template category will not change after the approval process, so you will always know the price of a conversation before it begins
For every WABA account, the first 1000 conversations per month are Free for Service conversations (user-initiated) ONLY.
User-initiated conversations will not be charged unless the business responds with free-form messages or auto-replies.
Cost per conversation in USD, effective June 1, 2023.
- Burkina Faso
- Republic of the Congo (Brazzaville)
- Ivory Coast
- Sierra Leone
- South Sudan
For other regional rate mapping information, please refer to the below CSV file: